Friday, August 1, 2008

SketchUp Model

I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to 3D modeling. While majoring in Industrial Design at the University of Cincinnati, we were required to learn Alias (a high-end surface modeling program used to design products). Since I haven't used that program in 3 years now, I have retained about 4.3% of what I used to know. Learning Alias did, however, prepare me to use more basic programs such as Google Sketchup - which I use at work and at home for personal projects.

Google SketchUp is a bit finicky, but overall it serves as a great tool to build rough spaces quickly to use as underlays. It also has a decent "color blocking" feature that allows you to color walls and surfaces with paint colors or textures (brick, roof tiles, fencing, etc.). This has allowed us to visualize how different rooms would look with various color schemes.

If you're so inclined, download SketchUp for free and play around with it a bit. I found it really tricky to use until I switched all of the keyboard shortcuts to mirror those of the Adobe products (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.). SketchUp certainly has its limitations, but for a free program - it's pretty darn useful.


Pretty accurate depiction of the front of the house.


A view of the 2nd floor layout (with ugly, random colors).


A view of the 1st floor layout.


POV from the front of the Living Room, looking through to the dining room. Don't you just love the sofa and painting above the fireplace?


Bird's eye view of the bathroom layout.

No comments: